Friday, 16 December 2016

Marzipan Cake

Happy Friday friends, I'm sharing with you today a cake recipe that I get asked for a lot.
Its actually a Nigella one and from her How to be a Domestic Goddess book. Its a true favorite in our home and so it seems with all those I bake it for.  Now I'm not a lover of fruit cake normally ... but this one, and maybe because its full of marzipan, I just love.

So here it is;

150 g sultanas
100 g glace cherries - halved
150 g dried pears, chopped
100 ml white run
250 g marzipan
50 g ground almonds
zest of 1 lemon
175 g plain flour
100 g caster sugar
100 g butter
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon orange-flower water
20 cm spring form cake tin .. buttered and lined.

Start the night before, and mix the sultanas, glace cherries and pears in a large bowl and cover with the rum.  Dice the marzipan and put in the freezer. Leave both to soak and freeze overnight.
Now ... this is something I've learned.  Firstly, if you can't get pears (and goodness, are they hard to get hold off) I have used apricots which work just as well.  I have tried mango's ... and no, they don't seem to work as well.

Also, the marzipan.  I now dice it and freeze it like this.  Otherwise, when I used to put it in a grip seal bag with some icing sugar to keep it apart, I still often ended up with a big lump of marzipan which I then had to chisel apart lol.
When you come to make the cake, preheat the oven to 140C/gas mark 1.  Beat together the almonds, lemon zest, flour, sugar, butter and eggs.  Add the drained fruit, orange flower (I have used Rose water, which also works) and the frozen marzipan.  Put the cake mix into the tin, leveling the surface and making a slight indent in the middle to get an even surface when cooked.  Bake for 2-2.5 hours or until a cake tester comes out clean.  Don't overcook, as it will continue to cook in its own warmth as it cools.  But nor should you worry too much at it; there's enough fruit and marzipanny squidge to make sure this golden cake doesn't easily turn dry.
Allow the cake to cool in the tin before re-wrapping in parchment and foil to store for about a week. Feed with a little more rum before you wrap for a richer taste if you want (just puncture the top of the cake a few times and slowly dribble a few spoons or rum over)

Ok ... the last part, I've never done. I've allowed it to cool, and then tucked in.  Seriously, why wait, its a yummy cake.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do, and if you're making it ... just remember to invite me around for a slice or two.

3 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to visit us and leave a message, it means a lot to us.