Friday, 22 July 2016

A long standing back & neck suffer - A pillow review

Happy Friday Friends!!

I am, unfortunately, one of those people who has suffered with long standing back pain since the tender age of 18. This was mainly due to my dancing years and rigorous training. I have swallowed a million pills and lain on the floor countless times until that is, I ended up having an implant put into my spine to hold it together, on the basis that I will need to have it fused at some stage.

All has been good in recent years as I have undertaken pilates (as per my surgeons advice),  which has made life bearable and improved my spine pain no end. However, recently I have been troubled by neck pain, which has then triggered nerve ending problems from my spine and ribs.

So after upping my pilates classes, and having physiotherapy, it has improved. However, I have managed to pin point one of the reasons for my neck problems and that is my pillow. So after having spoken to my physiotherapist and researching on the web, I have taken the plunge to change my feathered pillow into a more Maria, neck friendly, pillow.

I was tempted to go for an orthopaedic pillow as there are several out that, but after taking advice from my physiotherapist, I have opted not to. The reason for this is that they work for some people, but not everyone and in fact I was told they could worsen the neck pain I already had, so definitely didn't want to go down that route of finding out.

Hollow fibre pillows were recommended, but then I came across this pillow that is especially made for people that sleep on their sides, which is me.

Its more boxy in shape 

And much deeper than a normal pillow to provide support for the neck when lying on your side or back.


I have been using this pillow for the past few weeks, although it did take a few days of getting used to.  This was mainly due to the depth and shape of the pillow and it was also somewhat firmer than my feathered pillow. Overall, I have seen a great improvement with my neck pain and I am not waking up with headaches at all now. Personally, I would highly recommend giving this a go if, like me, you are suffering with any type of neck or back pain. 

Thats all from me this week. Have a great weekend friends and see you next week!!

Maria xx





2 comments:

  1. I noticed they'd starting selling pillows for side sleepers, front sleepers and back sleepers and wondered if they help. Tesco have them on offer at the moment so I might give them a try now x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, it'll be interesting to see whether you benefit from it.... it does take a little getting used to but I have seen a difference :D x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit us and leave a message, it means a lot to us.