Monday, 6 June 2016

For The Love of Coffee

Happy Monday Friends :D I hope you've had a good weekend.


The kids are back to school and college this week, which can only mean one thing, more coffee to cope with the early starts.  I am a huge coffee fan. Well actually that is putting it politely......  I am a coffee addict ;) So much so, I am somewhat embarrassed when I get asked how many cups of coffee I consume daily. To be honest, I don't count as I don't want to know (you can tell a coffee addict when they are in complete denial over quantities consumed lol).

So as you'd expect, I have a coffee machine and currently own a Nespresso pod machine.  I have had it for quite a few years, but it is on its way out and sadly the milk frother/warmer no longer works :(



At the beginning owning a Nespresso machine was great and, the fact that you have to order the pods direct from Nespresso, kind of makes you feel like you are in the same special coffee club with George Clooney!


However, that feeling can quickly disperse when you discover that your nearly out of pods even though you only ordered 250 of them a few weeks ago, and then end up having a major panic attack. To then have to pay the extra delivery charge just so you can make sure your next fix of coffee arrives the next day lol.

So I am now on the hunt for a new machine and, initially I was going to replace it with another Nespresso machine. However, I came across bean to cup machines and have been ever so slightly smitten with their look and after reading hundreds of reviews, their ability to produce great coffee, which is sooooo important :D

The search has begun and, for all those coffee lovers out there, I thought you'd be interested in a few that I have come across that offer the essential daily elixir that keeps me from turning into a complete crazy woman.

First up is this beautiful Sage, Barista Express bean to cup machine, which has a temperature control milk jug. Cost wise, John Lewis have it for sale at £549.95, which to be honest is the maximum we were looking at to pay.
Sage by Heston Blumenthal Barista Express Bean-to-Cup Coffee Machine with Temperature Control Milk Jug

What I like about it.....
  • Beans are ground directly into the filter when you need them so no degradation or quality of coffee.
  • It takes less than a minute to produce said coffee (Timing is essential! especially when I'm am running late for the school run ;)
  • Temperature controlled frothing jug for milk between 55-75 degrees. As I don't live in Italy and the weather is pretty much grey for most of the time, I like my coffee hot!
  • It has a mighty 2 litre water tank - A large water tank equals lots more coffee without having to faff around and refill. 
  • It has a 15 bar pressure -This is all important when buying bean to cup and 15 appears to be the magic number for the perfect cuppa :D 
  • A cup warming tray - again hot cups, equal hot coffee, equals a happy me... yay!!




De'Longhi ESAM3000.B Magnifica Bean-to-Cup Coffee Machine, Black
This particular De'Longhi model is a cheaper, but popular bean to cup machine. John Lewis has it on sale at £329.95, which is about what we would pay for a replacement Nespresso machine.

Heres what I like about it.....
  • Rather than a real barista process, it is a 'touch of a button' action to produce the perfect coffee. 
  • It has an adjustable milk frothing arm, (although it is not steel and I have read that steel wands are the best). 
  • It has a 1.8 litre tank so not as large as the Sage, but still ample water supply for endless coffees during the day.
  • One or two cup flexibility (if I feel like sharing my coffee experience lol)
  • Has built in rinse and decalcification auto programmes to ensure the machine stays running smoothly - important for us living in a hard water area.
  • Integrated cup warmer - hot coffee a must ;)

The above two machines are great, but then I discovered 'The Oracle'. (Loving its name),  which is a combination of the Sage Barista and the Delonghi as it is automatic and has some great features. However, the price is considerably more at £1,440 to £1,599.95 and it may be some time before I can win the hubby around to this machine, but a woman can dream can't she ;) 


Sage By Heston Blumenthal The Oracle™ Espresso Coffee Machine, Silver

The highlights of this machine are.....
  • Automatic grinding, dosing, tamping and milk texturing taking the guess work out of producing the perfect espresso.
  • Instant and continuos steam on demand which is independent so you can have your espresso and milk ready to go at the same time. 
  • An over pressure valve which prevents bitter flavours to the espresso as its automatic.

Look out on our Instagram account for the outcome of my coffee bean to cup machine hunt.


Have a good week Friends, I am off to savour another cup of coffee or two ;)

Maria xxx








4 comments:

  1. As a fellow coffee addict I read your review with interest but had to gulp at the prices. As much as I would love a "posh" coffee maker, I think that this is something that will have to wait until I win the lottery LOL
    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toni, they are expensive lol, but coffee, as much as it is a necessity for me, its one of my only guilty pleasures that I indulge in as I am not being a big alcohol drinker....... thats what I keep telling myself lol ;) x

      Delete
  2. My son is a fanatical coffee lover and has quite a variety of coffee makers (none in this price range though!) He grinds his own beans and has a special copper kettle to boil the water to the right temperature then there is a special drip by drip 'thing' that he pours it through. It takes a long time but he maintains he'd rather have a couple of really good coffees a day rather than lots of bad ones! We have a nespresso machine and I love the coffee from that - I don't think my palate is good enough to taste the difference between his and mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen those coffee drip machines. They remind me of a chemistry/science set and sadly I am too impatient, busy to wait lol :D x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit us and leave a message, it means a lot to us.