Wednesday, 25 May 2016

A Kitchen Makeover - Tips and Tricks

Hello dear blogging friends.
Today, I thought I'd just share with you a couple of the items that have made painting my kitchen cabinets a little easier, and as much as I would love to say coffee, coffee and more coffee, that's just a thing that makes everyday a little easier.

So first off, I'm tackling the preparation and with that, I mean sanding.

So once you've filled any holes etc., hubby used Polyfilla for Wood; we then used a sanding block attached to my hoover, its called Mirka Abranet Professional Starter kit. You can buy it off Amazon and it really was a life saver, and cut down the dust so much.

I used the 120 grade sanding sheets to rub down the filling etc., then moved onto 240 and finally the 320 for an in between coats.

Next came Tack Cloths. These are slightly harder to come by, I got a few packets in a paint trade centre, and I grabbed the last few packets, but if you can't get hold of them, a very lightly damp cloth does the job. Just make sure you've really wrung it out well.  Tack cloths are a godsend to get out an dust or particles left after sanding.  I also use these for in-between sanding of paint coats.
Next Paint, and I can't stress this enough.  I LOVE Farrow & Ball.  I used Estate Eggshell on the cupboards. Again, I did a lot of research on this, and everyone that painted kitchen cabinets recommend it.  Its coverage is amazing.  Although its only been on say a month or so, as you know, I have two very bouncy puppies, and muddy prints have just wiped off with a damp cloth.  What you might not know, is I have an extremely messy husband.  Even with him, all the mess, drips and handprints have just wiped off.  As I explained I used 2 coats on the inside of the doors, and 3 on the outside.

I really would suggest getting their tester pots.  Colours look so different in different rooms and light, what you may like in someone else's house, won't look the same in yours.
Lastly. Rollers!  I used these small mini foam rollers. Honestly, its hard to see an marks from them, the finish, I'm happy to say is lovely and smooth
So there you have it, just a few tools of the trade, that really helped me.

2 comments:

  1. Some very good tips - TFS.
    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all those very useful tips. Your make over kitchen looks quite good, muddy paw prints & all :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit us and leave a message, it means a lot to us.