Wednesday, 23 March 2016

Paints for Furniture

As I explained in my intro, I  have a passion for anything home decor related.  Lucky for me too, I am in the process of renovating and updating our homes.  Now in the little house, we have a lot and I mean a lot of inherited furniture, and I'm all about the up cycling and the shabby chic look.  So of course, I'm in my element with all the chalk paints that are available at the moment.
A little tip from me, and one that I've found works, is when using Annie Sloane paint in particular. I suggest, turning the can upside down and leaving it for a few hours, then stir, stir, stir and stir some more.  Its a thick paint and a lot of people find it gloopy and not easy to use, but I've found that even adding a little water help.

This unit used to belong to my parents, and holds very happy memories for me. The top though was jet black and I did worry that the paint wouldn't cover it.  So I did sand it down.  Now sanding, isn't always necessary, but if you're worried you can use a coat or two of shellac, which applied with a soft cloth will stop any staining coming though (this may happen on some furniture from the 1930's and 1940). Shellac dries in minutes, so doesn't stop you getting stuck in with the fun bit.

I''ll be back with more ideas, tips and tricks on painting furniture.


1 comment:

  1. The cabinet turned out beautifully Sandra.
    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit us and leave a message, it means a lot to us.