Monday, 21 March 2016

One of my favourite Mid-Century Chair Designs - The Series 7™ Chair


I have a bit of a thing for Mid-Century furniture design, which I fell in love with during my time studying for my degree. Furniture from this era has clean, simple lines that just fit in with our homes and work places today and you'll see them just about everywhere. To be honest, before I started my studies, I didn't have a clue about furniture design. A chair was just a chair. I either liked it or I didn't. Simple. But I was so wrong! There are so many beautiful designs out there. So I am picking one of my favourite chair designs to chat about today. It is one of the most simplistic chair designs out there  and you will no doubt have probably sat on one without even knowing that it is one of the most iconic chair designs; the Series 7™chair by Arne Jacobsen. Last year saw this chair celebrating 60 years since its creation and Fritz Hansen have commissioned nine new colours, which have been designed by the artist Tal R and I'm in love with its new look.



The Series 7™'s simplistic, curvy, feminine design is easy on the eye and you will find this chair just about everywhere. Even my dentist has them in a number of colours in their waiting room. It's no surprise that it is the most sold stackable chair in design history. It has sold over 7 Million since its creation!!





Last year, I was swooning over the limited edition, oh so pretty, pale pink with 24 carat gold plated legs creation. It just oozes elegance and femininity with a sophisticated look.

Masculine & Feminine, Series 7™ Design Celebrating 60th Anniversary 2015
Nest.co.uk still have one available here

The Series 7™ chair also comes in a children's size, barstool and as you can see from one of my office designs below a swivel chair.
Elevation Office Drawings featuring the Series 7™ Swivel Chair

There are nine new colours for the Series 7™ chair, which have given it a new life which has seen the base and the seat shell given the "same" colour creating a monochrome look which is different from the traditional chrome frame edition and I like the new warm, homelier look that they have created. 


So there you have it, just one of my many favourite iconic Mid-Century Chair designs. Maybe you have a favourite chair design or may be you've spotted one of these chairs on your travels, you might even be sitting on one now! It would be lovely to hear from you :D

Maria x







2 comments:

  1. Until recently, this was the style of chairs that furnished our break areas. We now have bucket chairs with padded seats.
    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're such an iconic shape, aren't they Toni. I love them.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit us and leave a message, it means a lot to us.